Suu Kyi speaks to supporters at party headquarters



(CNN) -- Freed democracy activist Aung San Suu Kyi addressed her supporters and reporters Sunday in Myanmar.


"I am for national reconciliation, I am for dialogue and ... whatever authority I have, I would like to use toward that end. And I hope the people will support me," she said, speaking to reporters at the headquarters of her National League for Democracy party.

The country's ruling military junta freed Suu Kyi from house arrest Saturday to a throng of joyous supporters who rushed toward her house once the gates were opened.

Suu Kyi, a Nobel Peace Prize recipient in 1991, had spent 15 of the past 21 years under house arrest for her dogged opposition to authoritarian rule in the nation formerly known as Burma.

"They have treated me well on a personal basis. But they have not acted in accordance with the rule [of law]. And that I shall always fight against," she said Sunday.

"I don't think any country can survive as a prosperous and dignified nation unless there is rule of law," she said. "The people cannot have security unless there is rule of law. And I believe my treatment and that of all prisoners is not within the norms of justice, but that does not mean that I have been ill-treated personally."

Recently, Suu Kyi had little outside human contact except for two maids and visits from her doctor. Sometimes, she spoke to supporters over the wall of her compound.

Source:http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/11/14/myanmar.suu.kyi.speech/index.html?eref=edition

Comments