Still Not Free

Tin Oo, deputy leader of the National League for Democracy Party, talks to journalists at the party's headquarters. (Photo: AP)

The Irrawaddy recently interviewed Tin Oo, 83, the vice-chairman of the National League for Democracy (NLD) who was recently released from almost seven years under house arrest.

Tin Oo joined the NLD at its formation during the pro-democracy uprising of 1988. He was formerly the chief of staff of Burma's armed forces.

He spoke about his mental anguish while in detention and his vision of a future for his country and his party.

Question: Can you tell us about your detention after the Depayin Massacre in 2003?

Answer: First I was taken into police custody in Depayin. Then they sent me to Kalay prison and immediately put me in solitary confinement. I expected to be there for a maximum of 30 days, but it turned into a total of eight months.

In fact, the food was fine. Any time I asked the prison guards for anything they brought it to me. For instance, cooking oil, salt, chili, onions and things that I could use to flavor my food. A doctor came to see me almost every day to check my blood pressure.

Then, one evening in February 2004, the guards came to my cell and handed me some plastic bags. All they would say is that I was to be moved somewhere else. The following afternoon, they took me away from the prison. Next thing I knew, I was on a flight from Kalay to Mandalay. I was taken to my home and told I was being placed under house arrest and charged under Section 10 (b) of the state security act.

Q: What were the differences between house arrest and life in prison?

A: Although I was at home with my family, I was unhappy being under [the junta's] control. So many restrictions were imposed regarding my movements. I couldn't meet people. I couldn't give alms to monks. I couldn't communicate with my party or talk to party members. I couldn't receive information and news.

In fact, house arrest is truly detention. It is not different from prison. I did manage to hear some news about my colleagues. I heard Aung San Suu Kyi was sentenced to imprisonment in Insein and later put under house arrest like me. I wasn't happy about that.

The rules were changed so that I had to submit all my requests and needs in writing. For instance, they asked me to submit a letter of request when I wanted a medical check-up. The low-ranking officers didn't want to be responsible for me, so they sent my requests to higher levels. It always took time to get permission granted. It would have been a severe problem if my health had deteriorated quickly.

Likewise, when I bought a new air-conditioner, nobody from the shop would come to install it for me. In cases like this, I had to rely on one of my relatives helping me.

The more I was affected mentally, the worse my physical condition became. To overcome my suffering I focused on vipassana [meditation]. In the mornings I prayed and I read Buddhist texts. I tried to memorize Buddhist scriptures whenever I had spare time.

Later, my wife and children urged me and to write about my experiences, so I did. At first, I was enthusiastic, but as I went on, I reached depths of sorrow. Reminiscing about the pro-democracy uprising and the many unpleasant things that had taken place, got me down.

One of the saddest things in my life was when I was in the army and my young son died. He was born with a bad heart and had to be treated by a doctor regularly. I couldn't take him to hospital because, for several reasons, I had very little money. I lost him. The day after his funeral, I resigned from the army. I was detained soon after my resignation and thrown into Insein jail for seven years.

The thought of what had happened and how I had been treated frustrated me deeply while I was in prison. Writing about these tragedies and bringing those memories back to mind depressed me so much that I stopped writing.

We have a saying in Burma: “What are the three happiest days in a man's life? Answer: the day he leaves the monkhood, the day he gets married and the day he is released from prison.”

Although I have been freed from house arrest it doesn't make any difference to me.

When I was detained I shouldered a great amount of mental suffering. I am free now but still under their control. There is a guard stationed right outside my house and someone follows me whenever I go out. In effect, I am still not free.

In fact, anyone who works for democracy, human rights and peace in this country is under detention. I am not satisfied with this situation. Sometimes, I am furious and feel like I can't stand it any longer. From time to time, I have to calm myself down by adhering to the Buddha's teachings. I have to focus myself because I want to help with the work of the NLD.

When the regime sentenced several young people to 70, 80 or 100 years imprisonment, the cruelty of the act has a great mental impact on me. During Suu Kyi's trial, nothing was fair and I wanted to right the wrongs that were being done.

Q: How was your physical health while you were under house arrest?

A: Well, I have to tell you, I began suffering from hypertension when I was in prison for the first time and I continued to do so until the day I was released. I went straight to the hospital and they were in shock because I had a blood pressure of 180-110.

I take medicine and try to take care of myself. The second time I was under detention, I suffered from an irregular heart beat and I needed treatment on my urinary gland. I also had problems with my eyes, partially caused by my high blood pressure. But much of that is my own fault because I didn't pay enough attention to this problem.

Apart from religious practice and writing, I watched TV to use up my free time. I watched so many Korean soap operas. Also, I am a big sports fan. I used to watch a lot of tennis and football––Premier League, Spanish league and the Myanmar National League. I think that's why I had problems with my eyes. I am getting treatment for that now.

As I said before, while I was under house arrest I had to make written requests for treatment and wait at least one to two weeks to get that permission granted. Usually I waited, but if it was an emergency I made my own decisions.

Q: As a former chief of staff, what do you think of the current Burmese army?

A: The army used to have a good reputation when it followed the traditions laid down by its founder, Burma's independence architect Gen Aung San. I would like to see the current army regain this. All officers––whether high-raking or low-ranking––should work for the people and focus on their real duties––the security and defense of this country. That's all I want to say about the army.

Q: How highly do you rate Aung San Suu Kyi?

A: Aung San Suu Kyi's leadership skills are truly needed for Burma's democracy, human rights and peace. There is really no need to say more about her courage as she stands on the side of righteousness. She has her father's blood, energy and desire to sacrifice herself for her country. She is honest, brave and determined. She has a desire to oversee the development and prosperity of the whole nation. She is completely dedicated to her country and has risked her life for it. She is a great leader.

Q: What do you think the NLD's future role will be?

A: Since its formation, the NLD has clearly stated its role in its constitution. When the NLD contested the 1990 election, it said that although Burma had gained independence its citizens have been unable to enjoy their rights as free persons. It also said that in the struggle for liberation from military dictatorship, it would build trust through peaceful means and dialogue. The NLD still holds this belief.

Q: What would you say to the regime's leader, Snr-Gen Than Shwe, if you met in person?

A: Well ... I would first advise him to try to build trust among the people. For the sake of the country and the people, we should negotiate and build trust. I would tell him that he can still do so.

Source :http://irrawaddy.org/article.php?art_id=17925

Comments