PM Brown's Last Letter Was to Suu Kyi

The last letters that Britain's former prime minister, Gordon Brown, wrote from No.10 were to Nobel Peace Prize laureates Nelson Mandela and Aung San Suu Kyi, reported a British political magazine on Thursday.

Britain's former Prime Minister Gordon Brown

In a personal handwritten letter to Burmese opposition leader Suu Kyi, Gordon Brown wrote: “This is one of the last letters I write as Prime Minister and I want it to be to you, to champion your cause for democracy in Burma and to say I will do everything I can to support you. You are, for me, what courage is and I will fight for you to be free and your people [to be] free.”

Both South Africa's national hero, Nelson Mandela, and detained Burma's detained pro-democracy icon Suu Kyi, are "two prisoners of conscience and two people who have inspired him hugely," New Statesman magazine Web site reported, quoting a friend of the former prime minister.

Gordon Brown became Britain's prime minister on June 27, 2007, and he resigned, after an election loss to the Conservative Party, on May 11, 2010.

Source :http://irrawaddy.org/article.php?art_id=18569

Comments